BoxNCaseContact us
COMMUNITY DISCUSSION

What winter drinks are a hit?

From the previous BoxNCase community. Original author names are preserved; these are not verified customer accounts.

1 replies

I'm on the hunt for some warm beverage options that’ll keep customers coming back this winter. Last year, we stuck to the usual mochas and lattes, but I feel like I could really shake things up this year. Problem is, I just can’t figure out what will actually sell without breaking the bank on supplies.

I’ve been tossing around ideas for unique seasonal twists, like a spicy hot chocolate or maybe using some lesser-known ingredients, but I’m unsure what customers are actually into. Honestly, I’d love some ideas or even recipes that you’ve found to be crowd favorites. It wouldn’t hurt to find something that pairs well with the pastries we serve too.

If you’ve revamped your winter menu in a way that actually drew in more customers, I’d love to hear how you did it. Are there certain flavors or drinks that you’ve found are surprising hits? I want to make sure I’m not just experimenting for the sake of it but giving my regulars something to look forward to!

Nice question. Winter drink winners are usually comfort-forward, easy to batch, and pair well with sweet pastries. Over the last couple of years I’ve seen plant-milk lattes, brown sugar and spice-forward flavors, and dirty chai-style drinks sell really well. People still want classics but with a twist, and you can charge a $1 to $1.50 premium for a seasonal version while keeping solid margins, around 60 to 70% on specialty hot drinks if you control syrups and milk cost.

Drink ideas that work in small ops

  • Spicy Mexican hot chocolate: quality cocoa mix, cinnamon stick, pinch of cayenne, top with whipped cream. Pairs great with chocolate croissants.
  • Brown sugar oat latte: brown sugar syrup, espresso, steamed oat milk. Very on-trend and pairs with almond or pecan pastries.
  • Honey cardamom latte: honey-cardamom syrup or paste, espresso, steamed milk. Pairs with scones and shortbread.
  • Dirty chai: chai concentrate plus a shot of espresso. Easy, fast, and popular with breakfast pastries.
  • Turmeric golden milk (noncoffee): turmeric paste, ginger, honey, steamed milk. Good for daytime foot traffic and noncoffee drinkers.

Simple recipes and ops tips

  • Make 1-gallon concentrate batches for chai, hot cocoa, and golden milk so baristas just steam and serve. Saves time and reduces waste.
  • Use 1 premade syrup + 1 fresh spice or garnish to create a “new” drink without extra SKUs. Example: Torani brown sugar syrup plus a dash of cinnamon.
  • Price strategy: base latte price + $1 to $1.50 for seasonal build. Promote as limited time to drive trials.
  • Promote pairings on a small countertop sign and run a week of samples during morning rush to push trial.

This week action plan

  1. Pick 2 drinks to test for 2 weeks, make concentrates, train staff on 2-minute prep.
  2. Price them $1 above your standard latte and add a small pastry pairing deal.
  3. Promote with a chalkboard and one social post. Track daily sell-through and adjust.

Honestly, keep it simple, test fast, and stick with 2 seasonal items that your team can nail.

Have something to add?

Straight from BoxNCase

Looking for official guidance?

Explore help with orders, deliveries, your account, and making the most of BoxNCase.

Visit the help center