BoxNCaseContact us
COMMUNITY DISCUSSION

What's the secret to hot cocoa sales?

From the previous BoxNCase community. Original author names are preserved; these are not verified customer accounts.

2 replies

Hey folks, I own a small coffee shop, and with the holidays right around the corner, I’m trying to figure out how to boost my hot cocoa sales. Honestly, I put it on the menu just as a seasonal thing, but it didn’t really take off last year. It feels like people are hitting Starbucks instead, and I'm itching to keep up with them.

I’ve played with different recipes, but every time it's either too sweet or not chocolaty enough. Last week, I tried adding a little peppermint bark into the mix, and while it got some buzz online, nobody seemed to want it in the shop. It’s frustrating seeing my competitors rake it in while I’m left with tubs of hot cocoa mix.

So, what do you guys do to make hot cocoa irresistible? Any tips on how to price it or pair it up with something else? I’d love to hear your best-kept secrets or even just what’s been working for you this season. Would really appreciate any direction here!

You are not alone. In tourist towns your sales will spike, then drop, and seasonal flavors like pumpkin and pecan usually crater in January. I’d treat seasonals as marketing plays, not core SKUs, and plan to avoid getting stuck with baked goods you can’t move.

What to do now, practically

  • Pick 3 to 4 seasonal SKUs that actually sold last year, not the things you thought looked cute. Start production at 30 to 50 percent of last year’s run and scale up only if they sell.
  • Open pre-orders and gift-box sales this week for your holiday items. Pre-sales lock revenue and cut waste. Offer hotel/concierge bundles if you’re tourist-adjacent.
  • Have a frozen/par-bake contingency. Freeze extras as par-baked or individual portions, label with cook instructions, then sell as frozen-to-go later or use for wholesale to offices/caterers.

Inventory and menu tactics that work

  • Keep a small evergreen core: croissants, plain muffins, a sturdy sandwich, cookies. Those sell year-round and bring steady foot traffic.
  • Use seasonals to drive urgency, not the majority of output. Put them on display, social posts, and bundle with coffee.
  • Repurpose at end of day: day-old pastries into bread pudding, croutons,

You are not alone. In tourist towns your sales will spike, then drop, and seasonal flavors like pumpkin and pecan usually crater in January. I’d treat seasonals as marketing plays, not core SKUs, and plan to avoid getting stuck with baked goods you can’t move.

What to do now, practically

  • Pick 3 to 4 seasonal SKUs that actually sold last year, not the things you thought looked cute. Start production at 30 to 50 percent of last year’s run and scale up only if they sell.
  • Open pre-orders and gift-box sales this week for your holiday items. Pre-sales lock revenue and cut waste. Offer hotel/concierge bundles if you’re tourist-adjacent.
  • Have a frozen/par-bake contingency. Freeze extras as par-baked or individual portions, label with cook instructions, then sell as frozen-to-go later or use for wholesale to offices/caterers.

Inventory and menu tactics that work

  • Keep a small evergreen core: croissants, plain muffins, a sturdy sandwich, cookies. Those sell year-round and bring steady foot traffic.
  • Use seasonals to drive urgency, not the majority of output. Put them on display, social posts, and bundle with coffee.
  • Repurpose at end of day: day-old pastries into bread pudding, croutons,

Have something to add?

Straight from BoxNCase

Looking for official guidance?

Explore help with orders, deliveries, your account, and making the most of BoxNCase.

Visit the help center