From the previous BoxNCase community. Original author names are preserved; these are not verified customer accounts.
1 replies
riyad141 · Archived author
I've been running a small deli for a couple of years now, and my sandwich offerings are starting to feel a bit stale-not literally, of course! My regulars love their turkey and Swiss, but I'm itching to spice things up and attract some new customers.
I've thought about adding more specialty items, like some gourmet bread or unique spreads, but I’m unsure where to start. Do any of you have favorite suppliers for high-quality produce or artisan ingredients? Also, has anyone tried a few quirky sandwich combos that ended up being a surprising hit? I just don’t want to waste time or money on something that flops.
Honestly, I'm all ears to realistic suggestions. I'm looking to genuinely surprise my community without having to call in overpriced catering for ideas. It's all about the margins for me, but I can also admit, getting a little creative in the kitchen sounds like a fun challenge. Help me shake things up!
rekha · Archived author
Nice problem to have, you want newness without wasting money. Do this like a small menu pop-up test, not a full rebrand.
Quick realities I see working now: customers love bold flavors and familiar formats, like pressed sandwiches, banh mi, and hot honey chicken. People will pay $8 to $12 for something that feels special, and you can hit roughly 60% gross margin if you keep food cost around 28–35%.
Tangible sandwich ideas that move:
Hot honey fried or grilled chicken on brioche with pickles and slaw, easy to scale.
Banh mi style with roasted pork or rotisserie chicken, pickled carrot, cilantro, sriracha mayo.
Pear, prosciutto, gorgonzola, arugula and balsamic glaze for a premium option.
Buffalo chicken with crisp slaw and blue cheese drizzle, a comfort staple.
Breakfast special: folded egg, cheddar, seasoned sausage or bacon, and chipotle mayo on a toasted roll.
How to minimize flop risk
Cross-use ingredients: one rotisserie chicken for 2 sandwiches, salads, and wraps. Same pickles/slaw across multiple menu items.
Buy par-baked artisan rolls or wholesale sliced loaves to avoid daily baking labor.
Keep 3 new items, run them for 2 weeks as “limited time,” track units sold and waste.
Have something to add?
Straight from BoxNCase
Looking for official guidance?
Explore help with orders, deliveries, your account, and making the most of BoxNCase.