BoxNCaseContact us
COMMUNITY DISCUSSION

From Beans to Income: What's Working?

From the previous BoxNCase community. Original author names are preserved; these are not verified customer accounts.

1 replies

I've been running a small coffee shop in North Carolina for a couple of years now, and I’m always trying to crack the code on what will boost our sales without breaking the bank. Honestly, I've found that offering seasonal drinks helps a lot, but I feel stuck when it comes to getting customers to try new things regularly.

I'm curious, what are some successful strategies you've all used to keep your menu fresh and draw in more foot traffic? Tried adding unique syrup flavors or limited-time pastries, but those didn’t quite land the way I hoped. Seasonal specials seem to create buzz, but I wonder if there are overlooked items in the wholesale market that might make for a surprising hit. Any tips on identifying those?

I’ve been there. Seasonal drinks pull people in, but getting repeat trial for new items takes a little more structure. What’s worked for me in small shops is low-risk rotation, obvious placement, and samples.

Quick realities: RTD cold brew and canned nitro have been growing in retail, and frozen breakfast sandwiches are a reliable morning grab for slowing shops. Counter snacks and grab-and-go items often hit 45 to 60 percent margin, so focus there first.

Product ideas to test

  • RTD cold brew or canned latte for quick upsells on the go
  • Frozen breakfast sandwiches or microwavable bowls for the morning crowd
  • Jerky sticks and savory snack packs for higher per-item margins
  • Protein bars, single-serve almonds, and functional drinks for commuters

Tactics that work

  • Small rotation program: introduce one new item every week and keep it for 2 weeks. If it sells at least 1 per day, keep it. If not, swap it out. This keeps the menu feeling fresh without overstock.
  • Sampling blitz: free 1 oz sample cups during morning rush or afternoon slump. Sampling usually moves trial by a noticeable margin, often 15 to 30 percent uplift in first-week sales.
  • Combo pricing: offer a 99 cent upcharge to turn a coffee into a breakfast combo. Small price add feels like value and raises average ticket.
  • Staff picks and placement: put new items at the register and on an endcap with a simple “New” sign and staff-recommended note.
  • Short limited runs: run a 2-week seasonal item and promote on social and your storefront. Scarcity creates urgency.

Three things to do this week

  1. Pick one RTD coffee and one breakfast sandwich to trial. Order small case quantities.
  2. Set up a 3-day sampling station during rush hour and track conversions.
  3. Create one combo deal and a small sign at the register, train staff to upsell it.

Honestly, keep it cheap and fast. If an item doesn’t show traction after two weeks, ditch it and try something else. That cycle is how hits get found.

Have something to add?

Straight from BoxNCase

Looking for official guidance?

Explore help with orders, deliveries, your account, and making the most of BoxNCase.

Visit the help center