BoxNCaseContact us
COMMUNITY DISCUSSION

Curbing Food Waste at My Café

From the previous BoxNCase community. Original author names are preserved; these are not verified customer accounts.

1 replies

So, I run a small café in a college neighborhood, and I’m honestly pulling my hair out over food waste. We’re not a huge spot, but the daily grind really adds up, especially with those fresh pastries that just don’t sell. I hate tossing perfectly good croissants and muffins at the end of the day - feels like just throwing money into the trash.

I’ve tried cutting back on what we prepare, but then we run into the issue of not having enough choices for customers, especially during rush hours. Any tips for managing inventory better? I've thought about pricing strategy or maybe a discount for close-to-expiration ideas, but never seem to implement anything that sticks. Anyone else in the same boat? How do you balance keeping the selection vibrant without pouring money down the drain? Honest, I'm all ears for your strategies!

Totally get it, been there. Fresh pastry waste is one of the fastest leaks in a small café. A few realistic moves that actually helped my spots and other neighborhood cafés:

Quick realities

  • Counter snacks/pastries often run 50-60% gross margin when priced right. But that margin vanishes if you toss unsold product.
  • Most shops get 70 to 80% of pastry sales from their top 3-6 SKUs, so spread is real.

Tactics that work

  • Bake smarter, not less: do a big morning batch and then one smaller mid-morning/early-afternoon bake. Par-bake or use frozen par-baked items for a quick refill so you don’t have to overproduce.
  • Time-based discounts: set a “late-day pastry” price drop (30-50% off 1 hour before close). Make it visible with a sign and staff push. People love a deal and you move inventory.
  • Repurpose leftovers: turn unsold croissants/muffins into breakfast sandwiches, bread pudding, French toast sticks, parfait crumble, or breakfast bowls. Low prep, higher perceived value.
  • Bundle and promote: coffee + pastry for a small discount in

Have something to add?

Straight from BoxNCase

Looking for official guidance?

Explore help with orders, deliveries, your account, and making the most of BoxNCase.

Visit the help center