From the previous BoxNCase community. Original author names are preserved; these are not verified customer accounts.
1 replies
john18 · Archived author
I've been running my food truck, slinging tacos and burritos, for over three years now, and honestly, it's been a wild ride. But the winter months are creeping in, and I'm starting to panic a little. Sales usually take a nosedive at this time of year, and I'm at a crossroads-do I stick it out or look into other options?
I’ve thought about switching to heartier offerings that scream comfort food, you know? But I’m terrified that I won't move enough product to justify the cost. On top of that, do customers really want to stand outside in the cold waiting for food? My gut says many would just rather grab takeout and stay indoors.
If anyone's been through this, how do you keep sales steady during these tough months? Any tips on seasonal specials people just can’t resist, or should I be eyeing off-season catering gigs? I want to keep the truck rolling, but I could really use some sage advice.
farjana38473 · Archived author
yes, but you have to change how you sell, not just what you sell.
Winter basics I use on trucks: sell warmth, speed, and value. People will still come out for hot, comforting food if it’s easy to grab and worth the wait. In my experience a few high-margin winter staples and some off-truck revenue keep cashflow steady.
Product/menu ideas that work
Hot hand-helds: breakfast sandwiches, breakfast burritos, grilled melts. Easy to prep ahead and reheat.
Soups and stews in to-go cups sold with a roll or cookie add-on (higher ticket).
Hot drinks: coffee, spiced cider, hot chocolate. Drinks often have 60-70% gross margin.
Packaged snacks for grab-and-go (jerky, trail mix) for quick impulse buys.
Offer meal bundles for office deliveries or family takeout.
Operational moves that actually help
Shrink the menu to 6–8 items you can batch prep. Cuts waste and labor.
Push preorders and time-slot pickup. Customers hate standing in cold.
Do indoor pop-ups with breweries, markets,
Have something to add?
Straight from BoxNCase
Looking for official guidance?
Explore help with orders, deliveries, your account, and making the most of BoxNCase.