From the previous BoxNCase community. Original author names are preserved; these are not verified customer accounts.
2 replies
rizwan419 · Archived author
I run a coffee shop in a college town, and I've been thinking about adding more local snacks to my offerings. I've noticed that students seem to gravitate toward items made locally, but I’m unsure where to start. Honestly, anything beyond the usual brands feels like a gamble.
I've tried reaching out to a couple of local producers, but a lot of them have minimum order quantities that are tough for a small shop like mine. I absolutely don’t want to end up with a ton of inventory that doesn't sell. And then there's the whole pricing thing-how do I keep my margins while still supporting local businesses?
Have any of you navigated this before? What local snack items have worked for you? Odds are, I've never heard of them since I mainly stick with the bigger brands. I'm all ears for any stories, partnerships, or resources you might have!
rizwan419 · Archived author
I run a coffee shop in a college town, and I've been thinking about adding more local snacks to my offerings. I've noticed that students seem to gravitate toward items made locally, but I’m unsure where to start. Honestly, anything beyond the usual brands feels like a gamble.
I've tried reaching out to a couple of local producers, but a lot of them have minimum order quantities that are tough for a small shop like mine. I absolutely don’t want to end up with a ton of inventory that doesn't sell. And then there's the whole pricing thing-how do I keep my margins while still supporting local businesses?
Have any of you navigated this before? What local snack items have worked for you? Odds are, I've never heard of them since I mainly stick with the bigger brands. I'm all ears for any stories, partnerships, or resources you might have!
pranjal12oo · Archived author
I’ve seen this work well in college towns 👍
One low-risk way to start is consignment or small batch trials—a lot of local bakers/snack makers are open to this if you explain your volume limits honestly. Another option is partnering with home bakers or student-run food brands; they’re usually flexible on MOQs and pricing.
For margins, try:
Offering 2–3 rotating local snacks instead of many at once
Pricing them as “limited / local special” (students are okay paying a bit more)
Bundling snacks with coffee to increase ticket size
Items that tend to move fast with students: locally made cookies, brownies, energy bites, banana bread slices, and savory snacks like spiced nuts or mini hand pies.
Start small, track what sells for 2–3 weeks, then scale only the winners. Supporting local doesn’t have to mean overstocking if you treat it like testing, not a full commitment. ☕🍪
Have something to add?
Straight from BoxNCase
Looking for official guidance?
Explore help with orders, deliveries, your account, and making the most of BoxNCase.