From the previous BoxNCase community. Original author names are preserved; these are not verified customer accounts.
1 replies
jhonanderson091 · Archived author
Hey folks, I run a food truck that does pretty well with tacos and burritos, but I’m trying to figure out what to add to the menu for winter. My customers love having something warm and hearty, especially when temperatures dip. Last year, I added some soups, but I feel like there’s gotta be more I can do.
I’ve been tossing around the idea of offering things like chili or hearty stew, maybe with some fun toppings. Do you have any recommendations for recipes or ingredients that can help me stand out? I want something that not just fills up the bellies but also keeps them coming back. Also, where the heck do people get bulk ingredients for that without breaking the bank? I don’t want to waste a trip, you know?
Anyway, any insights would really help! I’d love to hear what’s worked in your trucks or stores over the winter months. Thanks a million!
jhonanderson091 · Archived author
Nice move adding winter items, that’s when people pay for warm comfort and convenience. From trucks I’ve worked with, the easiest winners are big, savory bowls and hot handhelds that are fast to serve and reheat well.
Things that sell consistently
Chili or carne guisada served in a 12–16 oz bowl with cheese, onions, tortilla chips, hot sauce. Price $6–9, margins around 50–65% if you batch and portion.
Hearty braised meats (barbacoa, pork adobo) as a bowl or loaded burrito. Holds well in a Cambro.
Brothy soups/stews with add-ons: pozole, pozole verde, or a spicy black bean soup with toppings.
Hot handhelds: frozen breakfast sandwiches, empanadas, taquitos you heat and toss in a drawer warmer.
Hot drinks: single-serve hot cocoa, spiked hot cider, plus ready-to-drink coffee for upsells. Winter RTD hot drinks show big lift in colder months, customers will add a drink for convenience.
Tips that keep waste down
Make a concentrated base (big pot of chili or shredded meat), freeze in portioned 2–4 lb bags, thaw overnight. Reheat and stretch with beans/tomato to keep costs low.
Offer a toppings station (cheese, crema, pickled onions, cilantro, lime) so customers customize and your perceived value rises.
Use batch timers and label date/hold temps. Hold soups in a steam table or soup kettle, not on a flat grill.
Actionable steps for this week
Pick one base (chili or shredded beef), make a 10–12 lb test batch and sell it as a special for 7 days.
Price a 12 oz bowl $6–7, add a $1.50 hot drink combo. Track sales and waste daily.
Call your usual wholesale rep or local butcher to price frozen proteins and 25 lb bags of beans/tomato paste. Buying frozen proteins and canned tomatoes saves labor and cost, especially for trucks.
Honestly, keep it simple for the first 2 weeks, then iterate on what customers ask for. Winter regulars come back for warmth, speed, and a familiar topping they can customize.
Have something to add?
Straight from BoxNCase
Looking for official guidance?
Explore help with orders, deliveries, your account, and making the most of BoxNCase.