From the previous BoxNCase community. Original author names are preserved; these are not verified customer accounts.
2 replies
jhonanderson091 · Archived author
I’m running a small deli in New York City and I’m trying to figure out if I should buckle down and stock up on beef jerky this winter. It sounds trivial, but hear me out. Last year, I noticed people grabbing jerky during those short lunch runs when they didn’t want full meals. But this year, I’ve been hearing more buzz about local snack options, and I'm starting to worry I might be stuck with a ton of beef jerky that just fizzles.
I've looked into local suppliers-some of them have some fun flavor profiles that might stand out, but they’re also pricier than the big brands that everyone knows. You know how it goes: good product but can I really afford the margins? I'm wondering if anyone else has made the jump to more gourmet jerky options, or if I should just stick to the classics like Jack Link’s. What’s working for you guys lately? Should I ride the jerky wave, or am I chasing a trend that won’t stick?
jhonanderson091 · Archived author
I’m running a small deli in New York City and I’m trying to figure out if I should buckle down and stock up on beef jerky this winter. It sounds trivial, but hear me out. Last year, I noticed people grabbing jerky during those short lunch runs when they didn’t want full meals. But this year, I’ve been hearing more buzz about local snack options, and I'm starting to worry I might be stuck with a ton of beef jerky that just fizzles.
I've looked into local suppliers-some of them have some fun flavor profiles that might stand out, but they’re also pricier than the big brands that everyone knows. You know how it goes: good product but can I really afford the margins? I'm wondering if anyone else has made the jump to more gourmet jerky options, or if I should just stick to the classics like Jack Link’s. What’s working for you guys lately? Should I ride the jerky wave, or am I chasing a trend that won’t stick?
jhonanderson091 · Archived author
Short answer, yes, jerky can be a winter hit, but do it like a test not a bet-your-rent move.
Why it works: protein snacks get a boost in cold months when people want something quick and filling on the go. Big brands move fast and keep steady margins, while local/gourmet options give you a point of difference and let you charge $5 to $8 a pack if the taste and story land.
Real-world setup that works for a deli in NYC
Mix, don’t flip a coin: 60% classics (Jack Link style), 30% premium local flavors, 10% novelty/seasonal. Classics keep turnover, premium raises average ticket.
Size matters: single-serve bags and stick packs are your bread and butter. They sell impulsively at the counter.
Placement and cross-sell: right by the register, near grab-and-go coffee, and next to craft beers or protein bars.
Margins and turnover (practical numbers)
Expect around 50 to 60% margin on counter snacks. Gourmet packs can push higher margins per unit but sell slower, so balance inventory.
If a gourmet SKU moves less than 1-2 units per day, cut or replace after two weeks.
Actions you can take this week
Order a small test: 1 case each of 2 classic SKUs and 1 case each of 2 local/gourmet SKUs.
Price and promo: price classics $2.99 to $3.99, gourmet $5 to $7, run a buy-2 save 50 cents promo for the first two weeks.
Track sell-through for 14 days, note which flavors get grabbed by morning commuters vs. lunchtime crowds, then reallocate.
Honestly, local jerky can be a brand-builder and higher-margin item if you keep inventory tight and rotate flavors. If it flops, you haven’t tied up a ton of cash.
Have something to add?
Straight from BoxNCase
Looking for official guidance?
Explore help with orders, deliveries, your account, and making the most of BoxNCase.